Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Éirinn go Brách

Not only did the cured duck breast turn out quite tasty as seen in the post below, but also I had the chance to finally pull out the corned beef I had in brine.  Originally, I had planned to have the beef corned in time for St. Patrick's Day, but alas, I was in DC helping my parents.  Thus, March 17th went by with a corned beef from Whole Foods instead, which I discovered, much to my dismay, was brined without nitrate, resulting in a rather unappetizing and dull product on the plate.  Tasty perhaps, but I knew mine would fare better.

Therefore, the beautiful local, grass-fed brisket picked up from the butcher and immersed in brine (with nitrate) for two weeks became dinner last week with high expectations.  The corned beef was braised with a coarsely chopped mirepoix, thyme, bay leaves, juniper berries, and coriander.  To the braising liquid, I also added a bottle of Stella Artois that I was not particularly inclined to drink.  After braising for 8 hours at ~190°F, the corned beef in braising liquid was rested for another 8 hours.  The corned beef was removed to a cutting board.  Whole red new potatoes were added to the liquid and brought to a boil, at which point cabbage wedges were added.  Slices of corned beef were put on a plate set on top of the pot and covered to rewarm by steaming as the potatoes and cabbage cooked.

 Corned beef with boiled cabbage and new potatoes

So much better than Whole Foods' non-nitrate cured impostor of a corned beef.
With a glass of Tyrconnell in hand, a much belated sláinte mhaith to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment